Every Nigerian, no matter their tribe, can smell Jollof rice cooking even when they are miles away. That is how much we love it! Most people prefer to reserve jollof rice for special occasions or events. They believe the rice is too delicious to just be eaten like bread.
If you don’t know how to cook jollof rice that will have people biting their tongues, don’t stress over it. We are here to teach you not just any pot, but a killer pot of jollof rice. If you follow our recipe step by step, your next guests will not know what hit them.
- 3 cups of parboiled rice
- Chicken stock
- Tomato stew
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 3 seasoning cubes
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons curry
- Pepper and salt
Before you cook you jollof rice, there are some things you need to have done ahead of time. Here are some of them:
1. Prepare your tomato stew: Tomato stew is the main ingredient of your jollof rice. The tomato stew is what actually makes it jollof rice. Tomato stew consists of tomatoes, rodo, and onions. Blend the mixture together. Pour a generous amount of vegetable oil in your pot and fry the mixture until it is dry and looks thick. You may add tomato puree to mixture when you are frying. It will make your tomato stew richer and the jollof colour will pop!
2. Parboil your rice: Many people are now conscious of the need to parboil rice. It reduces the starch in the rice to the barest minimum. It is basically healthier for the body. When your rice is parboiled, rinse it, and pour into a sieve.
3. Prepare your chicken stock: You can choose to use whole chicken, drumsticks or chicken breasts. Just make sure they are cut up in the sizes you desire. Wash the chicken thoroughly and boil it with chopped onions, curry, thyme, ground pepper, and salt. When you are done, don’t pour the stock away. Put it to the side, it will make magic happen with your jollof! You can fry or grill your chicken to make it even more flavourful.
Now that we’ve gotten the preliminaries out of the way, we can get down to cooking that killer pot of jollof rice. Follow these instructions carefully:
- Put a clean pot on you gas or stove. Add 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pot and let it heat up. Make sure your onions are already sliced. Sprinkle them in the hot oil and stir with your cooking spoon.
- Next, pour in the tomato mixture and the chicken stock one after the other. Add your curry, thyme and salt to taste. Once you are satisfied with the taste, pour in your parboiled rice and stir thoroughly. Make sure you lower your heat once you do this to prevent burning. The level of the mixture in the pot should be the same with the rice once you pour it in. This is to ensure the rice soaks in all the water.
- Cover your pot with foil paper to give it that extra heat (steam) it needs. You can dice fresh tomatoes and pour it in at this stage just so it will simmer a little.
- Taste your jollof rice occasionally to ensure it is soft enough. Once the water is dry and it is soft, turn off the heat.
YOUR JOLLOF RICE IS READY TO SERVE!!!
Easy peasy, right? Conveniently shop all the ingredients you need for your jollof rice on APPLECARTNG. You can get freshly dressed chicken, rice, tomatoes, pepper; basically anything you need. All you need to do is make that call and let APPLECARTNG do the shopping for you!
Say goodbye to market wahala!