Hello! It's my first special edition feature on the Applecartng blog.
Cooking and writing food is a passion and as a busy mum, the need to prepare quick, healthy and tasty meals for my family is a top priority! This recipe is a quick easy win for the fish lovers and a versatile one too.. Now who does not like versatility? :)... On to the recipe.
Ingredients for a family of 4
- 1 clean titus fish (cut into 4 pieces)
- 4 juicy fresh tomatoes (chopped)
- Pumpkin leaves (small bunch, plucked, washed and chopped thinly)
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- 1- 2 small scotch bonnet pepper (blended) (optional)
- 1 cooking spoon olive oil
- Herbs, Spices & Seasoning: ½ teaspoon dried parsley, few chopped basil (efirin), small ginger (grated), few fennel seeds (optional), 1 teaspoon ground crayfish, salt to taste.
1. Season fish with parsley, salt and fennel seeds in little water under medium heat and steam to nearly cook. Take off heat and de-bone whilst crushing the fish with clean hands.
2. Heat up another pan on low to medium heat. Add olive oil, followed by the chopped onions, blended scotch bonnet and grated ginger. Stir for about a minute.
Tip: You can also blend the onions with the pepper to form a paste before adding to the olive oil.
3. Then add the chopped tomatoes and stir. Followed by some basil, the pumpkin leaves, crayfish and a little salt to taste.
4. Allow to simmer in low heat for a few minutes to release some liquid from the ugu leaves. Simmer until the leaves taste soft.
5. Then add the pieces of de-boned steamed fish.
6. Stir, allow to cook for about a minute. Taste and season further as desired (if needed) and, it's good to go!
A simple, quick & healthy sauce perfect with rice, yam, plantains (ripe or unripe) or just enjoyed on its own :)
Blessings from my kitchen table to yours..
Mum of 3
UK chef, food blogger @ www.traycees.com & and Kids recipe books author