Last week as I entered the market, I was struck by the redness that met my eyes. Tomatoes and pepper were everywhere! It made an otherwise drab environment look so lively and cheery. It's no wonder they say "as red as a tomato".
Has the market always been like this? What made the tomato so special? What are its benefits? These thoughts and more ran through my head as I ade my purchases. Later, I did my research and I was amazed at the wonders of these red plump fruits. Here are some amazing things about tomatoes:
1. Tomatoes have a high vitamin content: Many nutritionists and doctors haven't stopped sensitising us on the importance of vitamins. Vitamins are an essential part of a healthy and balanced diet. Tomatoes provide a good amount of vitamins B1, B2, B5, E, and most importantly, vitamins C and A, beta-carotene or pro-vitamin A. These vitamins are necessary for good vision, great skin, and improving several other bodily functions.
2. Tomatoes can prevent high blood pressure: Daily stress from work, society, friends or family can cause high blood pressure. When the body experiences high blood pressure, other bodily organs may start malfunctioning. A single tomato packs a powerful dose of minerals and nutrients. Taking tomatoes regularly can help safeguard your body from high blood pressure as well as high cholesterol.
3. Tomatoes have a high level of anti-oxidants: Lately, focus has shifted to antioxidants. Yes, they fight oxidants. But what are oxidants? Why are they harmful? According to Diane McKay Ph.D., an assistant professor and researcher at Tufts University’s Antioxidants Research Laboratory, oxidants "are free radicals that you find in the environment, but they are also produced naturally in your body." Your body creates these oxidants to help fight viruses, bacteria and microbes. They're not harmful in little quantities, but in large amounts, they contribute to cancer and other heart diseases. Tomatoes are act as antioxidants in fighting off the wrong effects of oxidants to your body.
4. Tomato boosts immunity: Hearing a doctor tell you that your immune system is down can cause worry and anxiety. You then start to wonder what you can eat or do to get your immune system back up. Well, tomatoes are a great food to include in your immune-building diet! Tomatoes have been identified as an amazing factor for avoiding cold and influenza in men. The main culprit of a low immune system are- carotenoid deficiency and low amounts of lycopene and beta-carotene. However, tomato seeds and the flesh have been praised as immunity boosting agents.
5. Tomatoes promote glowing skin: In recent times, beauticians have been promoting glowing skin. The trend has been passed on to the rest of the public who have slowly but gradually started looking for ways to have glowing skin. In fact, the bronzer has become a popular makeup item in many ladies’ bags. Some methods to get glowing skin are extreme while others are quite expensive. But tomatoes create a great balance. It's neither extreme nor expensive. It has a high amount of Vitamin C which brightens the skin. Rubbing tomato halves or applying tomato juice on the skin automatically revives the skin.
6. Tomatoes can cure hair loss and combat itchy scalp: Hair loss can occur because of tight braiding, bad nutrition, dandruff and eczema. However, taking lots of Vitamin C will help you fight and combat these diseases. Tomatoes has Vitamin C which provides collagen for the scalp tissues to develop properly. Just rub tomato pulp on your hair, wait for about 30 minutes and wash off. You'll see changes in your hair in no time.
7. Tomatoes contain little fat: It's very unlikely for you to hear fitness instructors tell their clients to abstain from tomatoes. In reality, they'll tell them to take more tomatoes. Why? Tomatoes provide the body with essential minerals and it detoxifies. It also has a lot of water content which regulates the internal organs and helps to lose weight.
From the above, it is obvious that tomatoes serve essential purposes. They are great for the skin, hair and the entire body. If it hasn't occurred to you already, you need to increase your tomatoes intake to enjoy the many benefits you just read. I've started seeing changes in my body and skin already. Wouldn't you like to see positive changes in yours?
Don’t forget to order your tomatoes from APPLECARTNG. We have all the ingredients you need for your delicious, mouth-watering Naija meals.